*please forward widely*
Rally to Support New School Occupation!
New School 13th Street & 5th Avenue
Students at the New School have joined those fighting for justice around the world by occupying their campus. They are demanding the administration honor their rights as students to shape the University in their own interest. They are standing up to the corporate and military powers that are reshaping education across the country and have asked for your support.
From tuition hikes at CUNY to investing in war industries, it’s time to take our schools back!
Over 200 students are currently sitting in after weeks of organizing (see full demands below). Students and supporters from across the city have been gathering to show solidarity for the occupation; organizers have asked those who support democracy and academic freedom to join them tonight.
~ Demands of the Occupation ~
• The removal of Bob Kerrey as president of our university
• The removal of James Murtha as executive vice president of our university
• Students, faculty, and staff elect the president, EVP, and Provost.
• Students are part of the interim committee to hire a provost.
• The removal of Robert B. Millard as treasurer of the board of trustees.
• Intelligible transparency and disclosure of the university budget and investments.
• The creation of a committee on socially responsible investments.
• The immediate suspension of capital improvement projects like the tearing down of 65 fifth Ave.
• Instead, money towards the creation of an autonomous student space.
• Instead, money towards scholarships and reducing tuition.
• Instead, money for the library and student life generally.